Ask anyone to write down what they think are the most popular tropical fruits and it would not be surprising for the succulent pineapple to be included in the list. Fore a more complete list of benefits and nutritional data check out these 11 pineapple health benefits. Inside its golden thatched skin and spiky crown is a fibrous goodness that is a meld of a burst of flavors. It perfectly blends together sweetness and tartness that only a slice of pineapple can give. And not only that, the health benefits of pineapple are as appealing as how it tastes.
When it comes to nutritional benefits, you will not be disappointed when you sink your teeth in a pineapple. It is most known for being rich in fiber with zero grams of fat and cholesterol. Also, it is unique in itself because it is the only source of an enzyme called bromelain, which is thought to have an anti-inflammatory property. It is extremely high in Vitamin C and manganese content. It also contains countless vitamins and trace minerals, which include Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9 and A, choline, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, sodium and potassium.
Health Benefits of Pineapple
- It helps boost the immunity. Because it is high in Vitamin C – 58% of the recommended daily value, it is excellent in fighting infections and in keeping your body strong against common types of diseases, like cold and flu.
- It helps to build strong bones and healthy gums. It contains several bone building nutrients, like calcium, B vitamins, Vitamin C and phosphorus. All of which are essential to bone health.
- It helps alleviate the signs of joint pain. The bromelain content in pineapple reduces the levels of a substance in the body that affects modulation of inflammation. This means that it can help relieve joint pains.
- It keeps your digestive system healthy. Another benefit of the bromelain enzyme is that it clears certain intestinal worms in the stomach. Also, the fiber and high water content helps to flush away wastes and promote regular bowel movement.
- It is one of the best fruits for weight watchers. If you are trying to lose some weight, pineapples are an excellent fruit choice to satisfy your sweet cravings without adding excess pounds. It is contains ample amount of calories but is low in sodium and virtually zero in unsaturated fats and cholesterol.
- It promotes excellent eyesight. Its vivid yellow hue is indicative of its beta-carotene content, which is essential in developing superior eye health. This means pineapple keeps your eyes bright and prevents loss of vision in adults.
- It prevents certain types of cancer. It contains a myriad of antioxidants that are important for the body to fight off the harmful effects of free radicals. It prevents the growth of abnormal mutated cells and keeps normal cell functioning.
- It keeps you looking young. Pineapple is a natural beauty enhancer. Its rich Vitamin C content helps give your skin that healthy glow by nourishing the skin and repairing any skin damage. This is because Vitamin C is an essential nutrient in the collagen synthesis, which makes your skin look plump, moisturized, healthy and young looking. Also, the B Vitamins and Vitamin A in pineapple helps keep your nails from easily breaking off. To top that off, it is even known to prevent hair loss from happening. It is also great for exfoliating dead skin cells and moisturizing the lips.
What is even great is that enjoying these pineapple health benefits is not hard to come by. It is easily available in grocery stores and fruit stands all year round. And if you cannot find a fresh pineapple, you will be sure to find a canned one rather easily.