Countless women out there treat their curly hair very badly and don’t know it’s different from straight hair as it requires special hair care products and techniques.
Don’t use hair tools foolishly and try to let your hair air-dry whenever possible. But if you have to use a hair dryer, below are the steps to dry your hair properly before styling it.
The beauty and success of your style depends on the techniques you use to dry and products you apply.
- After you have washed and conditioned your hair, wrap a dry bath towel around your head and leave it for 3-4 minutes. Do not try to manually squeeze dry your hair with the towel as you hair might get tangled. Do not leave the towel for more that 3-4 minutes as it can cause frizz. The objective is to leave the towel just enough time to absorb excess water.
- Take off the towel and comb your hair gently with a wide tooth comb.
- Apply products to style and create nice styles: foam, spray, serum…
4. Apply hair care products to protect your hair from the heat of the hair dryer.
5. Start drying when your hair is 80% dry. Set the heat to the minimum: start at the top and slowly go down to the end. Hair dryers with diffuser attachments are the best solution for curly hair. You can also dry your hair with your head down.
6. Once you finish drying your hair, apply anti-frizz serum to tame the frizz and add shine to your hair
7. Finally, start styling
How To Make Your Curls Last Through The Night
You certainly know, as I do, that sleeping with curly hair is not that simple. If precautions are not taken before going to bed, you might end up waking up with messy, dry and frizzy hair instead of those beautiful curls you had before sleeping.
To make sure you wake up with a glamorous style, it’s of vital importance to adopt a healthy night routine to save your curls from breaking at night.
Also, there exist some techniques that people use to make sure their styles last longer like the “Wash N Go, Bantu Knots, Twist-outs and Braid-outs”
Below are some tips for a glamorous morning style:
Moisturize and protect your hair before going to bed by applying a leave-in conditioner
Use satin: headscarf, bonnet and/or pillow. Satin is known to better preserve the beauty and moisture of curly hair.
3. Choose the right hairstyle
Heavy braids for example help protect curly hair from breaking
- Try the “Pineapple Method”
This technique is commonly used by curly haired women. The video below explains the method better than words.