Our society advertises the masculine gender as tough and resilient. Popular beliefsaside, there is noevidence that backs their being immune to sickness and disease. Studies point men face more health risks than women do.
Actions reflect attitude. Unlike women,men are less health conscious. Mostshun or rather overlook theneed tovisit a doctor. Often,critical health condition forcesthemto seekmedical help. That said, why wait untilmatters are beyond reach? Preventive measure is a sure way to stay fit. Ensure good health with a bit ofplanning. Here is a list of7common but serious health issues thatpose threat to every man, but arepreventable as well.
Heart or Cardiovascular Disease
The leading causes of death world over, heart disease and stroke have become a global public health problem, especially in the US. No other disease haunts men as much as cardiovascular disease –one in five die from it. Clinicallytermed as atherosclerosis, itrefers to the hardening and narrowing of the arteries. This is whenthe arteries in the heart and brain get blocked due to a steady buildup of cholesterol plaques. In the event of a plaque becoming unstable a blood clot is formed, which blocks the artery leading to a stroke.
- Avoid processed foods made with hydrogenated oils instead opt for vegetable oil.
- Lower your sodium intake by eating less processed and package foods.
- Add fiber to your diet through fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Consumefoods rich in healthy fats such as oily fish and nuts.
- Keep cholesterol in checkstarting at age 25 and every 5 years.
- Exercise regularly for at least 30-45 minutes each day.
- Stop smoking and excessive drinking.
A terrible and metastatic disease, lung cancer is identified asa leading cancer killer. It spreads early and stealthilyleaving no signs of its assault on one’s health. Difficult to detect even on an X-ray, it is not until it has advanced and reached acritical stage is when it is oftenfound. As a result, less than 50% of men make it through the next year. Smoking isone of the main causes, it accounts up to 90% of all lung cancers.
- Quit smoking at the earliest irrespective of your age, it cuts the risk of lung cancer.
- Consult your doctor for effective tools to help fight the habit.
- Take up relaxation exercises.
Prostate cancer happens to be the most common cancer found in men. As per reports, in the US itself, about 200,000 men will develop itwithin the year-end. What exactly is it? It is a gland found behind the penis, which helps secrets fluid essential for ejaculation. Unfortunately, it is immune to problems as men age. One in 6 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer during their lifetime, while on the other hand, one in 35 would die due to it.
- Consult your doctor regularly on the possible risks.
- Acquire the antioxidant lycopenethrough a diet rich in tomatoes, watermelon and papaya.
- Eat foods rich in zinc like fish, meat, eggs, legumes, whole grains and sunflower seeds.
- Add omega 3 rich oily fish to your weekly diet, at least twice.
- Cruciferous vegies like broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and cabbage are must.
Diabetes (Type 2)
Infamously called as a silent killer, diabetes starts silently with no symptoms. Increase in frequency of urination followed by thirst are the first signs of this disease that gradually show up, caused due to an upsurge in blood sugar levels over the years. Diabetes is widely a result of obesity. Lethal, the excess glucose works like a slow poison affecting blood vessels and nerves throughout the body. Infection, stroke, kidney failure, blindness and amputation are the ugly side of Type 2 diabetes.
- Control your blood sugar levels by avoiding packaged sweet foods and soft drinks.
- Eat wholegrain foods like whole oats, brown rice and whole meal pasta.
- Include protein in each meal to balance your blood sugar levels.
- Combine healthy diet with exercise for up to 30 minutes every day to lower risk of diabetes.
Impotence also known as erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to maintain an erection while engaging in sexual activity. Although, not life threating, itis seen to affect men of all ages. If unchecked, this health problem can mar the overall well-being of a man’s health. Those reported with ED are foundto be less confident and more susceptible to bouts of depression and anxiety. And later become dependent on aphrodisiac medicine like Viagra generics .Impotenceresults due to several factors. However, atherosclerosis (process causing heart attack and stroke)is often associated being its cause.
- Consult your doctor for the best possible treatment available.
- Opt for medications via oral drugs designed to treat ED.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Limit alcohol intake
- Stop smoking
Take necessary precautions and avoid serious health issues and resulting stress caused due to them. Improve your health; make a firm resolve towards working on achieving a healthy lifestyle. Regularly practicing the above said preventive measures will help ensure you possessa healthy body, both mentally and physically.